This winter soup is so full of veggies and chicken that it can be served as a meal on its own with a slice of fresh crusty bread.
The ingredient of Hearty chicken soup
- 1.3kg whole chicken
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, chopped
- 2 large celery stalks, chopped
- 10 Masterfoods Black Peppercorns
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 5 flat-leaf parsley stalks
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium leek, trimmed, halved, washed, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, diced
- 2 large celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium (300g) swede, peeled, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- crusty bread, to serve
The instruction how to make Hearty chicken soup
- Make stock. Wash chicken under cold water. Pat dry with absorbent paper. Trim any excess fat from chicken. Place chicken in a large saucepan. Add onion, carrot, celery, peppercorns, bay leaves and parsley stalks. Pour enough cold water into pan to just cover chicken. Cover with lid. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, partially covered for 1 hour or until chicken is cooked through, skimming surface during cooking. Remove from heat.
- Carefully lift chicken from broth. Transfer to a plate. Strain broth through a muslin-lined sieve over a large heatproof bowl. Discard vegetables. Cool stock. Cover, refrigerate overnight.
- Meanwhile, remove and discard skin and bones from chicken. Shred chicken. Cover, refrigerate overnight.
- Make soup. Remove stock from refrigerator. Skim any fat from surface. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add leek and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until leek is soft. Add carrot, celery and swede. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until celery starts to soften.
- Add stock and chicken. Cover saucepan. Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered for 30 minutes. Add zucchini. Simmer, covered for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat. Stir in chopped parsley. Serve soup with crusty bread.
Nutritions of Hearty chicken soupfatContent: