This tasty and satisfying soup can be served on its own or as part of a meal.
The ingredient of Lamb, spinach and lentil soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 lamb shanks, trimmed
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed, sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/2 litres chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups dried brown lentils, rinsed (see Notes)
- 1 bunch english spinach, leaves removed, washed, chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 slices prosciutto, grilled, torn
- 2/3 cup plain yoghurt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
The instruction how to make Lamb, spinach and lentil soup
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan on high. Cook lamb shanks for 4-5 mins, turning until browned all over. Remove and set aside.
- Saute celery, onion and garlic for 4-5 mins, until tender.
- Return shanks to pan with stock and water. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 2 hours, until meat is tender.
- To make the cumin yoghurt, combine yoghurt, cumin and garlic, in a small bowl. Season to taste.
- Remove the shanks from the soup and cool slightly. Shred the meat from the bone (it should literally fall off).
- Bring soup back to the boil. Add lentils. Cook for 15-20 mins until tender.
- Return shredded lamb to soup. Heat, stirring, for 4-5 mins until boiling. Remove from heat. Stir through spinach, zest and juice. Season to taste. Serve topped with Cumin Yoghurt and torn prosciutto.
Nutritions of Lamb, spinach and lentil soupfatContent: